This assignment demonstrates your professional writing skills as well as your intercultural communication competency. This assignment consists of two parts:
Complete the INCA survey and develop a one-page reflection summarizing your ideas. Directions: Complete all of the INCA Survey questions. When you are done, use the INCA survey student manual to help you analyze your results. Read about the different dimensions of intercultural competency and what they mean.
Survey Attached below
INCA is an acronym for Intercultural Competency Assessment. The purpose of the INCA survey is for you to examine your intercultural awareness and assess your cultural sensitivity. This activity is designed to help you become aware of your own attitude towards cultural diversity. The dimensions of cultural competence measured by the INCA survey are:1) Tolerance of ambiguity, 2) Behavioral flexibility, 3) Communicative awareness, 4) Knowledge discovery, 5) Respect for Otherness, and 6) Empathy.
Use the 3 critical incidents selected below and analyze them.
Your analysis should contain at least three scholarly references each that pertain directly to the incident, and should be completed as formal written report in APA format.
You can take the format of an executive briefing or a training session.
The analysis should be complete and supported by literature, not an opinion piece.
- My friend liked her class, but she felt that the teacher was very cold. She said the teacher just taught grammar and never asked about the students’ families or talked about her own.
- A man commented one day that the reason there are so many single women in Canada is that they are lazy. His female friend was surprised and insulted by his attitude.
- A young woman had recently arrived in Canada ready to start a new life. She found the weather a little cold but still enjoyed wearing the same style she wore at home—tight skirts and tight tops that had low neck- lines. After about a month, she began to notice people staring at her. She thought they were looking at her because she was a foreigner. Then one day someone told her that only prostitutes dressed that way. She felt angry and insulted.
Next choose from the following cultural orientations and themes as they relate to the critical incidents (can be more than one). Explain how your chosen critical incident relates to one or more cultural orientation(s) and theme(s) in your report:
- Power Distance
- Space: Private/Public
- Communication: High/Low Context
- Communication: formal/ informal
- Communication: direct/indirect
- Communication: non-verbal
- Learning Style
- Interpersonal Distance and Touch
- Relationship building
- Work ethic
- Gender roles
You will want to conduct your own research to learn more information about cultural competencies for the purpose of this assignment.
Complete both parts in a formal written paper using APA format. Use headings to mark each part: Part 1 and Part 2. Use subheadings to indicate the discussion of each critical incident. Please review the requirements for all written assignments on page 3 of the syllabus.
Most assignments include a minimum required number of sources (beyond the textbook). The required sources are to be recent (dated within the last 5 years) and from scholarly or acceptable outside sources. Acceptable sources are scholarly manuscripts written by scholars or professionals with expertise in the field. They are usually peer-reviewed and sometimes present research results. It is also possible to find reliable information in the news or reports, but avoid websites with unknown authors and websites with open access for authors, such as Wikipedia. Sources are to be cited within the text in APA style, references in APA style, AND you must include a hyperlink (if available) to view the source. Develop your assignments with clear syntax, correct grammar, and spelling. Avoid using bullets and lists whenever possible. Instead, explain and elaborate using complete sentences and paragraphs.
Make sure your assignments are comprehensive and address the issues, concerns, and questions asked in the order in which they are asked. Make a point of self-evaluating each of your assignments using its course rubric before submitting it. Instructors grade all papers using the course rubrics.