unit 2 discussion board
Unit: Truth in Science
Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your research. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. To maximize your learning, select peers who researched chemicals different from the one you researched. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Chemicals of Concern in the Environment
As scientists and engineers work to produce products that make people’s lives easier and safer, there is the possibility that these new products could have negative consequences on individuals and the environment. Select 1 of the chemicals listed below, and discuss its role in improving lives as well as the potential unintended consequences that it may have. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Chemicals of Concern (Select 1)
- Regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
- Brominated flame retardants: These are added to plastics and fabrics to make them more flame-resistant.
- Cadmium: This is an element that is known as a heavy metal. It is used in batteries, paints, and plastics.
- Regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
- Phthalates: These are chemicals that are added to plastics to make them more flexible.
- Bisphenol-A (BPA): This is a chemical that is added to plastics to harden them while keeping them light.
Discuss the following for this assignment:
- What role does the chemical you selected play in the modern world?
- What are some possible detrimental health effects that are associated with this chemical?
- Explain the position of the FDA or EPA regarding your selected chemical. What is the position of your state government regarding your selected chemical?
- Do you feel that your chemical should be more tightly regulated in the United States? Why or why not?
- Would label requirements be enough? Explain why or why not
Unit 1 – Discussion Board 2
Unit: Recognizing the Need for Change
Within the Discussion Board area, write 200–300 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Leroy Banks is the Director of Change Management for Red Carpet, a national hospitality and entertainment company. He has contracted you to be an OD Consultant because Red Carpet has recently acquired a movie theater company and needs to create a new division. Leroy realized that this acquisition has provided an opportunity to restructure some other parts of the Red Carpet as well so it can streamline its operations. Leroy has asked you to begin by assessing Red Carpet’s organizational environment.
Review the Red Carpet scenario for this course and with your classmates; discuss the following questions that will help you become familiar with Red Carpet:
- Identify and describe 3 examples of external forces affecting Red Carpet.
- Identify and describe 3 examples of internal forces affecting Red Carpet
- What challenges have these forces created at Red Carpet?
Unit 2 – Individual Project
Unit: Types of Change
Respond to the scenario below with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. Be substantive and clear, and use research to reinforce your ideas.
Now that you have gained an understanding of Red Carpet, Leroy has asked you to join in on a preliminary meeting with the VP of HR and other members of the organization to discuss change. The meeting was very tense because many employees are unsure of their role in the change process. In fact, the VP of HR has not settled yet on what type of change is needed or how to start up the change process. After the meeting, Leroy asked you to prepare an executive summary that could be provided to the VP of HR that would help to address these concerns.
Review the Red Carpet scenario for this course and prepare a 750–1000 word executive report that includes the following:
- What type of change does Red Carpet need? Should it be transformational, developmental or transitional and why?
- What employees or employee groups should be key stakeholders in the change and why?
- What initial activities should be planned to begin the change process?